College Guidance Counselor (Full-Time)
Date Modified: February 3, 2020
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports To: Director of College Guidance
Cristo Rey Dallas College Prep (CRD) is a Catholic, college preparatory high school for students of all faiths who cannot otherwise afford a private education. CRD nurtures and challenges young women and men to recognize and realize their full potential as they grow to love God, respect others, and serve their community. Each student participates in the Corporate Work Study Program (CWSP), which offers a weekly work study experience for all four years.
Anticipated Start Date:
The role of the College Guidance Counselor at CRD is to work with students and parents on a group and individual basis to gain an understanding of the college admissions and financial aid process. This individual will help direct students toward college readiness and broaden their opportunities for success to and through college. The College Guidance Counselor will also design, deliver, and evaluate parent workshops around college readiness topics. This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential job responsibilities; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Design, teach, and grade College Readiness classes that support the college counseling process
- Support the planning and implementation of workshops for parents and students on key topics related to the college admissions and financial aid processes
- Ensure students take advantage of special opportunities made available to low-income and/or first generation college students in the college search process
- Guide and assist students through the entire college and financial aid application process including managing application materials submission via the Naviance system
- Assist with the registration plan for standardized college entrance exams and oversee exam data analysis in collaboration with the Data Manager
- Coordinate college representative visits to CRD campus and college fairs
- Coordinate logistics for students to attend on-campus college experiences
- Actively research all aspects of college counseling: financial aid, scholarships, applications, and best practices
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four year educational institution
- Spanish and English fluency required
- Experience guiding high school students and families through the college admissions process is preferred but not required
- Certification in college guidance is preferred
- Understanding of the barriers to access to college for low income and/or first-generation students
- Strong written and communication skills; detail oriented; team player; ability to multitask in fast paced environment
- Relentless focus on results, high level accountability, and willingness to do “whatever it takes”
- Candidate must be adept at building rapport and trust with people from diverse socio-economic and cultural backgrounds, including underrepresented youth and first-generation college students
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of the Cristo Rey Network and model
- Strong working knowledge of Google Suite, Microsoft Office; ability to work with Naviance
- Full-time, year-round position with competitive salary, benefits, and paid vacation
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Regularly sit, talk, hear and interact with students, parents, staff, and visitors.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
- Work at a desk and computer screen for extended periods of time.
If you would like to be considered for a college guidance position at Cristo Rey Dallas, please submit one PDF document containing the following information via email to the Cristo Rey Dallas College Prep Hiring Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 6, 2020. Priority will be given to applicants who apply by this deadline. All other applications will be reviewed as needed.
- Cover letter and resume
- List of three professional references (including email and telephone contact information for each reference)
- Transcripts from undergraduate and graduate education (This may be attached separately.)
- Responses to ALL three essay questions:
- Who are you? (Maximum Response: 500 Words)
- Describe your philosophy of education and explain how you hope to put it into practice as a member of the Cristo Rey Dallas team. (Maximum Response: 500 words)
- What makes a good college guidance counselor? (Maximum Response: 500 words)